For additional training on the system, please see the ePTTR Training Area on our website.
Clerk Service FAQ
Q. What's my username?
Use your first initial in you first name, along with you full last name for Town Clerks.
Each administrator will set up their own system for additional users.
Q. What is a password?
A password is a secret word or string of characters that is used for authentication, to prove
identity or gain access to a resource (example: an access code is a type of password).
The password should be kept secret from those not allowed access.
Q. How do I get my password?
For the clerks: when logging in for the first time you will enter your username then
click ‘Forgot your password’ link in the lower left corner of the screen.
You will then be emailed a temporary password that will be changed on your first log in.
Your new password will need to be a minimum of 8 alphanumeric characters, 1 number,
1 upper case letter, and 1 lower case letter.
Q. What if I have forgotten my password?
If anyone forgets their password, they go to the login screen, enter your username
and click ‘Forgot your password’ link in lower left corner of the screen.
A password will be assigned to you and sent to the email listed in the service.
When you sign in again you will be prompted to change the password.
Q. Can I correct a return after it has been completed?
Once it has been completed the return cannot be edited. If you need to make corrections
after you’ve completed, email email@example.com.
Please include the buyer’s name, receipt number along with corrections to be made.
Q. If the parcel has been sold as a subdivision with no span number what should I do?
If the parcel that has been sold is a part of another parcel you can contact the lister
or assessor’s office for a span number. If there is still no span number associated
with that parcel you may use five 9’s or the parcel number that is associated with the subdivision (Parent Parcel).
Q. If there is no grandlist value what should I do?
If it is part of a subdivision enter the parent parcels full value.
If it is not part of a subdivision enter ‘0’ in the value field.
Q. If an assistant Town Clerk leaves her/his position?
In the service, choose ‘User Management’ then select ‘Manage Existing Users’.
Identify the party in question, select edit and change the Active Status to ‘No’.
Q. How do I add a newly hired assistant to the clerk service?
You can add a new assistant town clerk at anytime. Log into the system,
click on “User Management” and click the second tab “Add New User” and
follow the instructions on the screen. You can add up to three active users.
Q. What do I do with Timehare transfers that have no SPAN’s or Grand List Values?
Where only part of the rights are being sold, you should enter '0' for the last five digits in the SPAN,
enter 'No parcel ID' for Town Parcel ID and enter '0' for the grand list value.
For Easements, Rights of Way you should list the value of the total property from the grand list
of which the rights are being sold from and their associated SPAN/Parcel ID.
Q. What is a receipt?
A receipt is an electronically produced form of the PTTR with a receipt number. It has a different look but is an official PTTR.
Q. What do I do when I have returns in my queue that I have not received the paperwork for?
Nothing. Only complete returns that are from the electronic system in the electronic system you have
received a deed for by matching the receipt numbers and complete only that receipt.
Q. Can I complete Booklet/Vendor forms online?
No. Booklet/Vendor forms are completed as before, record information on the form and send a copy to the state.
Q. I received an email about what’s on my town queue, do I need to do anything?
Not necessarily, this is an informational reminder to prompt you to complete returns that you have
already received the documentation to record. If you have not received a deed then you should do nothing.
Only complete transfers for properties you have received a deed for.
You do not need to follow up with the preparer or the state on any outstanding PTTR's.
Q. How do I tell the difference between an electronic form and a booklet/vendor form?
The electronic form is in a different format with a receipt number in the upper right corner of the return.
The booklet form is in the same format as before with 4 pages and pink ink.
The vendor forms will be black ink and four pages but will have a 4 digit code in the bottom left corner of the return.
Intro and Login
Welcome to the online help tutorial for the electronic property transfer tax return service.
For your assistance there is a “Training Area”, accessed via the link on the website where preparers are able to practice entering property transfer tax returns and clerks are able to practice searching and completing submitted property transfer tax returns. There is also documentation that can be downloaded to assist you in this process. These are excellent tools to familiarize yourself and staff members and help you to properly navigate through the electronic property transfer tax return service.
Town Clerk’s Initial Access This service is utilizing the names and email addresses on file for the Town clerks with Property Valuation and Review. Please notify the division of any changes so your towns’ access can be maintained.
On the property transfer tax return municipality login screen, click "Forgot your password" found in the lower left portion of your screen. On the next screen, enter your email address and click "Submit". The system will e-mail you a temporary password to be used to log into the service. At that time you will be prompted to change the password to the confidential password of your choosing. Passwords expire every six months. You will be prompted to change your password when it expires. Usernames and Passwords are case sensitive.
Forgot Password On the property transfer tax return municipality login screen, click on "Forgot your password" found in the lower left corner of your screen. On the next screen, enter your email address and click "Submit".The system will e-mail you a temporary password to be used to log into the service. At that time you will be prompted to change the password to the confidential password of your choosing. Enter a new password, which needs to be a mixture of numbers and letters and at least eight characters long then re-enter the new password, click submit. Passwords expire every six months. You will be prompted to change your password when it expires. Usernames and Passwords are case sensitive.
The clerk should only complete their section when the electronically generated Return Receipt and deed are submitted to the town. All of the returns that have been submitted to your town electronically will appear in your ‘Town Queue’ as of the date of closing declared on the PT 172. Only property transfer tax returns pertaining to your town will be visible.
Locate Return to Complete In order to complete a return, locate the return by matching the receipt number located at the top right of the form with its correlating number on the system and click the green complete button located on the far right. You must only complete one return per transfer/deed.
Return Status The status of the return will display in three actions.
- Submitted: This denotes the ePTTR was submitted to the town of the principle residence with a date and timestamp.
- Completed: This denotes a date and time stamp when the clerk completes the return that was submitted to the town.
- Filed: Each night the system will file completed returns with the Tax Department where a date and time stamp will also be assigned.
Property Information View the basic information of the property to ensure the correct transfer is being completed.
View all return details View all the property information of the property transfer tax return that was submitted by the preparer. In order to go back to the previous page click the back button. This is informational only.
Municipality Filing Information
- Book: Enter the book number that you will record the deed associated with the transfer tax return.
- Page: Enter first page number of the deed recorded.
- Grand List Year: Enter the grand list year according to the date of closing from the ‘as billed grand list’. A grand list year is from April 1st to March 31st in any given year.
- Date of Record: Enter the date that the deed was recorded in the land records by the town clerk or you can choose from the drop down menu the month, the appropriate day, and then the year.
- Grand List Value: Enter the value from the as bill grand list according to the grand list year selected above. For subdivisions, if no value has been assessed, enter the total value of the parent parcel from which the subdivision occurred.
- Parcel ID Number: Enter the parcel identification number assigned by the town.
- Grand List Category: Select from the drop down menu the grand list category code associated with the parcel in the grand list being transferred. In the case of a subdivision, you may need to consult with your lister/assessor.
- SPAN (School Parcel Account Number): The span will be auto filled from the ePTTR. Check for accuracy, if incorrect you may edit the last five digits. In the case of a subdivision check with your lister/assessor to see if a span has been assigned and may not be active. If there is a span even if it is inactive, enter the assigned span. Where the span has not been assigned yet, you may enter five 9’s. This will indicate to tax that this is part of a new subdivision.
- Comments: This information is only for internal use, the state will not receive any information listed in this field.
Complete Button: When all information is complete, select ‘Complete’ button at the bottom of the screen. This will place the completed return in a holding queue to be gathered each night to be filed with the Tax Department, State of Vermont. At the same time, an email message will be sent to all email addresses listed in the return of its status (to the effect that the clerk has completed the return and it is being filed with the state).
Print: You may print the receipt which will include the information added by the clerk. This will open the PTR in a .PDF format which will allow the PTR to be printed and/or saved as a .PDF to the local desktop. If you choose to print then staple copies together or you may choose not to print and manually enter the information in the town clerk section on the original return and only file the original. This is a local office procedure.
Search for any returns submitted that are in the town queue. Search by an individual field or a combination of fields.
You can use the '%' character as a wildcard. For example, if you entered %Smith% in the Seller/Entity Name box,
the system would search for all names that contain the word 'Smith'. Entering Smith% would search for names that begin with 'Smith'.
Search Parameters These fields are not case sensitive.
- Receipt Number: Enter the receipt number of the PTR.
- City or Town: Enter the name of the town
- Status of a Return:
- Submitted Indicates it has been completed by the preparer.
- Completed Indicates the town clerk has completed the clerks’ portion of the return.
- Filed Indicates the Vermont Tax Department has received the return from the town clerk.
- Seller/Buyer/Entity Name: Enter the last name or entity in either field. The percent character may be used as a wild card I.e. %smith% or smi%.
- Submission Date: The date the return was submitted to the service by the preparer. A single date or a range of dates may be entered from the drop down menu or use the calendar on the right by clicking on it.
- Span (School Parcel Account Number): When entering the span number you must include the dashes i.e. xxx-xx-xxxxx. The percent character may be used as a wild card I.e. %smith% or smi%.
- Number & Street or Road Name: Enter the building number and street or road name. The building number must be included in the address.
- Closing Date: A single date or a range of dates may be entered from the drop down menu or use the calendar on the right by clicking on it.
- Parcel ID: enter the parcel identification number assigned by the town.
- Submit: Once you have all your criteria established on the search screen, click on the submit button.
The screen will display with a basic set of information including the Submission date, SPAN, Receipt Number, Location, Parcel ID, Status and Buyer #1's name. You may sort a column by clicking on any column heading. The last column allows access to a given PTR by up to three access buttons:
- Complete: Opens the Active/Open Return Details screen for completion
- View: Allows the information to be viewed, not edited
- Print: This will open the PTR in a .PDF format which will allow the PTR to be printed and/or saved as a .PDF to the local desktop.
- Export: You can export the data from your town queue in a spreadsheet format which can be saved to your computer by selecting the ‘Export’ button and then follow the screen prompts.
- Back: Selecting the ‘Back’ button will take you back to the search criteria screen where you can enter new search criteria. Or you can click on the Search Returns button on the left.
The User Management Section is only visible to the town clerk administrator with the ability to perform these functions.
Add New User Enter the information requested about the new user
- Username: Fill in the username. This can be any configuration of letters or numbers you choose for the format, yet should be consistent with all users.
- Full name: Enter full name of user i.e. John Smith
- City or Town: Select the town from the drop-down
- Phone: Enter the phone number where the user can be reached i.e. work or home
- Email Address: This should be a unique email address of the user to receive emails regarding their password. This can be a private address or work assigned address.
- Role: Select the job title of the user. At present only Town clerks and assistants can be added to the service. Other positions will be added in future upgrades to the system.
- Active Status: Indicates whether a user is actively completing returns or not. If they are approved by the administrator select yes.
- Submit: When the information is complete, select submit. This will add the entry to the Manage Existing Users list and send an email to the new user informing them how to set their password.
Manage Existing Users
A complete list of all users entered into the system will display. This is organized from the information entered from the Add New User screen. You can review information, reset passwords and edit user information file from this screen.
- Reset Password: When 'reset password' is selected a screen will display asking for confirmation of the email address. If correct, select 'Continue' and a temporary password password will be emailed to that user.
- Edit: Selecting edit will take you to an ‘Edit User’ screen where all the information entered of the selected user will display. You can edit any of the information but a user can never be deleted from the system, only inactivated.