VT Pay Help
What is VT Pay?
    VT Pay allows taxpayers to pay certain Vermont taxes electronically via ACH debit or with a credit card. Taxpayers can use the ACH debit to pay the following:
  • Next year's estimated individual income tax payments
  • Tax due for a current year individual income tax return
  • Bills for prior year sales and use, rooms and meals, withholding, corporate, business income, fuel gross receipts, property transfer and individual income tax.
Is there a payment option that is free or is there a charge?
    The ACH debit option is free, while payments exceeding $200 made with a credit or debit card are subject to an additional charge.
What credit cards are accepted?
    You can use VISA, MasterCard, or Discover.
Can I pay with a debit card?
    If the debit card has a MasterCard or VISA logo on it, you may use it. It will process as a credit card, so payments exceeding $200 made this way are subject to an additional charge.
Must I pay the total amount due indicated on my billing statement?
    Paying the total amount will avoid additional interest and penalty charges. If you are unable to make full payment, pay as much as you can. Contact the Compliance Division if you need to arrange for an installment payment plan.
What is the total price?
    Credit/debit cards are processed by a third party online service. Credit card payments exceeding $200 are subject to an additional charge which will be included in the total price. The additional cost associated with credit card payments is not imposed or retained by the Vermont Department of Taxes.
Will I receive a receipt for my payment?
    Once the transaction has been completed online, you will receive a confirmation number. You should print out the confirmation page with the amount paid and the date as your receipt.
What is the "Tax Account Period?"

The tax account period shows tax and time period that you are paying.

  • For an individual income tax estimated payment, select the quarterly payment period you are paying.
  • For a First Notice of Taxes Due, the tax account period is located in the box entitled "Tax Account Period" and will appear as a date range.
  • For subsequent tax bills, no tax account period or tax account number is used. Enter the Case Number shown on the bill.
Do I need to put both social security numbers on the estimated payments or income tax return payment?
    Yes. If the payment is for a joint return, both social security numbers must be entered.
Otherwise, the payment will be credited only to the social security number entered.
Who do I contact if I have questions about an individual income tax estimated payment or the balance due on a return?
Call: (866) 828-2865 (toll-free in VT)
(802) 828-2865 (local or out-of-state)
Fax: (802) 828-2720
Write: Vermont Department of Taxes
Taxpayer Services
133 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05633-1401
Email: indincome@tax.state.vt.us
Who do I contact if I have questions about a tax bill?
Call: (802) 828-2518
Fax: (802) 828-5282
Write: Vermont Department of Taxes
PO Box 429
Montpelier, VT 05601-0429
Email: compliance@tax.state.vt.us